Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Stereotypes win the day

Stereotype 1: Romans are the crudest and rudest Italians around

If not definitely the crudest and rudest I'm sure they're near the top of the list as a recent excange with the old man who lives upstairs proved:

Old man: What happened to you leg?
Me: I broke it in a blah blah blah
Old man: (regards leg intently with rheumey eyes for several monents before raising an impressed gaze to meet mine) Cazzo*!

(*Fuck!)


Stereotype 2: Italian policeman are workshy bar-dwellers

A taxi driver told me this joke the other day: "What do a policeman and a brioche have in common? You can find both in any bar."

At the local carabinieri office I waited 45 minutes to pick up a report because two officers went to the bar leaving just one alone at the desk to man all enquiries (honest to god, E saw them go in with his own eyes). Then, when I got seen I was told I'd have to go to the tabacco shop across the road to make a photocopy of the report before we could continue with the paperwork. What service!

No comments:

Post a Comment