Sunday, May 25, 2008

Learning to Argue

I'm beginning to quite enjoy arguing you know. Before I moved into this house I can honestly say I'd never had an argument in my life. 'Disagreements' and short-lived sulks yes, but never a full-scale shouting and finger-pointing session.

This all changed a couple of weeks ago when my friend came to stay. My crazy witch housemate stormed into the room where we were sleeping at 8am on a Sunday morning, dramatically snapped on the light and started a full-scale barney in her pajamas.(If you've read anything else about this deranged woman you'll know that the actual details of the argument are likely to be non-sensical and inconsequential so I won't bother going into them). As my friend cowered next to me in the bed, I sat up and gave as good as I got, even trying out a bit of experimental finger jabbing to make my points. We had a good 20-minutes of this, then she finally realised that she'd been falsely accusing me of something the whole time and slunk off. Afterwards I really felt like we'd cleared the air- even if her accusations were crazy at least she'd got them out in the open instead of stomping round with a face on. Despite the fact that we don't particularly like eachother we reached a sort of uneasy peace afterwards that was a million times better than the ignoring eachother stage.

Yesterday night it was E's turn to argue with her. What started off as a conversation about cleaning the house turned into another raise-the-roof barney. To his credit, E is somewhat more talented in the art of arguing than I am and came out with some fantastic Eastenders-worthy lines such as "you're an evil witch" and "if you don't stop shouting I'll throw you off the balcony and you'll never be allowed back into this house". Sonia's responses were equally as impressive "who the hell do you think you are?" "I'm not scared of you or anyone else", "You should respect me, especially after I used to iron your shirts for you before you had a girlfiend. Your girlfriend doesn't even know how to iron". Thoroughly enjoyable stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment